Thursday, February 18, 2010

Footsteps (Jejak Langkah)



The particular work that I would be discussing in this post is "Footsteps", written by the well known Javanese author, Pramoedya Ananta Toer. The novel is part of the Buru Quartet series, which the author had composed orally during his years of exile in the Buru island. The main character in the novel is a young educated Javanese man, Minke. The story revolves around how he had grown from a mere student of STOVIA (Medical School) upon becoming the founder of the first Native newspaper in Dutch Indies (Hindia Belanda) and ultimately the defiant nationalist figure. The work has been appraised by many as a work of literature that has successfully captures the historical drama of the country, Indonesia. The themes brought amazingly by the author include: Universal Humanism, Colonialism, Feminism (women are strong and men are weak), and most importantly, Nationalism.

Minke, a man who received Dutch/Western education, is one with great idealism, who is always intrigued by the fact of how such a great country like Dutch Indies (later Indonesia) can be overruled for hundreds of years by a small country in a far away land, Holland. This thinking has then led Minke to realize that the people should be united in order to fight against colonialism. During his years as a student in STOVIA, Minke met an amazing woman, who came to Java in the spirit of Chinese nationalism, with a great intention to help build her country, China. As Minke later married Mei, she has become one of the most influential women in his life.

Mei was the one to support Minke to start a nationalist organization, and so he formed the Syarekat Priyayi, involving only the Priyayi, those native leaders. But this first native organization was not a success. Later, another organization was formed by a student of STOVIA, and he named it Budi Oetomo, recruiting only those of Javanese descents. Minke was also invited to participate in the organization, but there were things that are still bothering him. Some things that tell him this kind of organization; however, is not the appropriate one considering the nation's current situation.

He was pondering and contemplating over his discussions with his late wife, Ang San Mei, when he suddenly remembered what she had told him, "Everything we are fighting for has the one source: our own backwardness, and our stupid, groundless, and excessive national pride". This suddenly brought him into a realization that the biggest enemy one may have is not coming from the outside world. Rather, it's coming from the very inside of himself.

When this idea was brought into the context of Budi Oetomo and the situation of Dutch Indies at the moment, Minke understands that the concept of BO was not the right one. It is time to stop thinking that Javanese is the best ethnic group, because what people need is a unity. In other way, people need to put aside the chauvinistic elements they hold, and begin a new organization, one which is full of nationalist spirits. He also realizes that this was why his Syarikat Priyayi did not work successfully; because it was put into certain boundaries and limitations of people's pride as Priyayi, and it did not include the whole people, those other people who did not belong to the priyayi group.



Reading selected literature works from Indonesia and the Philippines has helped me understand my country better. It was to my shock that I realize how I somehow still cling into some of the chauvinistic elements in myself. I myself am a Javanese, and I just realized how proud I am that Pramoedya is Javanese and that Minke, the main character, is also a Javanese. I guess I also have to consider what Mei had said. When we were in the first weeks of the class, I was so proud of my country and countrymen, thinking that the stories we have are among the best and well written. But things changed as I read the stories from the neighboring archipelago, the Philippines. I used to think that they were somehow enjoying the colonial period of Spain and America, because they seemed to be absorbed by Spanish and American culture; the fact that they all have Spanish names and speak English fluently. I also used to think that they did not resist the colonial culture, the way the Javanese did. But when I read Noli Me Tangere and encountered another author of his people, Jose Rizal, I changed my mind. Some of his theme in the stories are parallel to my favorite writer, Pramoedya Ananta Toer. And now I can fully appreciate how the Filipino had also fought bravely for their independence and human rights. Mabuhay!

0 comments: