After Boston, the next conference that I was heading into was the Southeastal Conference of Languages and Literatures in Statesboro, Georgia. Three days after my arrival from Boston, I had to prepare for another trip, flying from Columbus to Savannah airport. I was a little bit reluctant to go, because I was still very tired, and plus, I would go there alone, without knowing how to get to the little town of Statesboro from Savannah.
But I had to go there, because I confirmed my presentations to the organizer of the conference way before I knew I was accepted in any other conferences. And anyway, I was obliged to use the grant money from Fulbright for every conferences I mentioned in the proposal :). So there I was, sitting in front of my computer, busy sending emails asking for any presenters who would like to share transportation. Luckily, three people replied to my email and said that we would wait for each other in the airport and one lady named Anne would be renting a car.
That makes four of us, four beautiful women from different countries, a gang who share the same passions for language. Mita from India, Vinita from India, Anne from Lousiana, and me, Nurenzia from Ohio, a.k.a Indonesia, were lucky to have our paths crossed each other. Since the first time we met in the airport till the day we had to wave goodbyes, we had become best friends. We would go to Georgia Southern University from hotel together, have breakfast, lunch, and dinner together, and most importantly, attend each other's presentations and enjoy the meaningful discussions afterwards. I love them so much!!!
On the last day of the conference, we drove with Anne back to Savannah. After that, I rented a car and navigated around the historical city of Savannah and Tybee Island with Mita and Vinita. Finally, beach after two years of mountains! :)
I was so lucky to be able to know them, and hope we would stay in touch forever.
PS. Some notes from the conference:
1. One guy was talking so loud about how OU beat Georgetown Univ in the basketball game. Amazing!
2. They thought I am a Spanish speaker. Haha, como estas!
3. I met Saida, Ifoda's friend from Muski scholarship. She spoke to me in Russian all the time!
4 comments:
dear renzi,
hesitate whether still remember me or not?? (graduate from English Literature Brawijaya 2005)
Let me say thanks then to approve me as friend.. I find it so interesting reading ur blogger. Find and learn many new words from yours.
Really look forward ur other english written blogger as well as ur other worthy moments overseas (hope i can get a chance like u hehehe)
Thanks
Siska
Will there soon be a blog about how the Kapoors met? I have been waiting for almost one year for that blog :D
-Roy
hi siskaa.....i still remember you..:D
how have u been now?
yups, i am sure that u will get the chance to come here, or any other parts of the world...so much to see, so many to explore ! :D
and thank you for reading this blog..i am supposed to write more and more, but this has been a crazy hectic time for me (finishing my study soon, yay!!)
Hi Roooyyyy.....
How about working on a collaborative blog of the Kapoors together?
heeyyyy...i missed the chance to try on the Sari today...:((((
so saaadddd....i should've tried it.....
Post a Comment