Monday, December 7, 2009

Winter Days in Athens

Gloomy. Quiet. Cold. Lonely. Lazy.

I always woke up into a gloomy atmosphere this winter. The world just suddenly feels so different than how it was three months ago. I used to love waking up in the morning, watching the sunrise, and listening to the chirping sounds of the birds. And I used to open the curtain blinds, admiring the leaves dangling into the big tree across my bedroom window. But now, at 8 a.m. the world is still dark, cold, and the moon is still there to say hello.
The first snow filled the air last week, right when we moslems celebrated the Idul Adha. I watch them fell through the mosque's glass windows. But it was so thin it disappeared away so fast. The real snow came around four days ago, when I woke up to the whole white world. I starred out from my window, admiring how beautiful the gloomy morning was, as I shivered from the cold breeze.
I loved walking down the street of Athens, felt my footsteps on the red bricks of the old city. Breathing the moments, as I approached my sanctuary, Gordy Hall. But this winter, the beauty of the place has emerged to a deep and sudden loneliness. How it mesmerized me I could not explain with words, it was just a combination of pain, abstract longing, and happiness.
I want to fill in this cold world with passions, so much as the snow is trying to wrap the lazy days of December in Athens...

0 comments: