Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Al-Fatihah





Sura - 1 The Key ( Al-Fatehah)
Order Of Revelation 5, Verses: 7


In the Name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful

Praise be to God, Lord of the worlds!
The compassionate, the merciful!
King on the day of reckoning!
Thee only do we worship, and to Thee do we cry for help.
Guide Thou us on the straight path,
The path of those to whom Thou hast been gracious; – with
whom thou art not angry, and who go not astray.

--the first sura in the Koran, which always makes me cry every time I listen to it. --
I used
to read the Koran without really paying attention to the translation. I would only read it in Arabic, and understand the general meanings. I went to an Islamic elementary school in which I had to learn Arabic and how to recite the Koran, so I can read the holy book pretty well. I know the divine beauty of the verses, but I was amazed by the depth of the meaning when I started to read the English translation of it two years ago.

The first sura in the Koran is Al-Fatihah, which means the Key, or also the Opening.
I sobbed in tears when I contemplated upon its meanings. My grandfather spent more than two months, more than eight meetings only to make us able to recite and pronounce it correctly. And even more time to discuss the meaning it conveys. Allahu Akbar!
Guide Thou us on the straight path,
The path of those to whom Thou hast been gracious; – with
whom thou art not angry, and who go not astray.


0 comments: