Monday, February 9, 2009

heroes night

I went to African Heroes Night yesterday after spending four hours working on the Syntax problems from my Japanese professor. It was totally unplanned because I thought I needed to go home soon and started studying. And plus, I had a little bruise on my neck after pulling my head in such a sudden when I was skating during the afternoon.

But then, I changed my mind. I felt that it might be interesting to see how the African Student Union prepared their event. Well, actually I was also thinking that having dinner with a lot of companions would be more fun rather than having it alone.
So by 7.15 I had found myself sitting on a round table with Kamola and several new faces I met there. One of them said hi to me, and asked, " Well, I saw you in the GB meeting last week. You are the new Permias president, aren't you?" Oh my dear God, I was still uncomfortable with all these new title and responsibilities. But I just nodded, and said, " Hm, yes, but starting from next quarter". Several minutes later she went on and talked about the coming Indonesian Night. She told me how she was impressed by the last year's event that she decided to come again this time. Auch! I know, I know, I am proud that a lot of people are so excited about our event, but I agree with Tsuroyya at some point. When there is too much expectations in the air, sometimes it just feels so hard to try to fulfill all the expectations.

Anyway, I also met Carolina who was performing a belly dance from North Africa. Well,she is Spanish, but she was there to show the dance she had learned from the African dance class.I like her passion and her personality. I was walking home together with her up to the end of Court Street. Hm, she also mentioned something about couchsurfing or stuff, which brought her the most unbelievable holiday experience ever.

The next person which gets stuck in my mind after the Heroes night apparently was not the chosen hero of the night (Dr.Steve Howard), but this Japanese girl, Aki Tanaka.
She was performing after Carolina and her belly dancing. Their group presented an African dance which involved bowls of fruits and drums. It was so damn beautiful!!!I was not a man (of course) but I just could not get my eyes off her during the performance. She danced so beautifully and gracefully in her unique way, different from the other girl who danced with her. There was something inside her which inspires me. When she danced, it was like she was saying, " this is my passion for life". I found out later that she is majoring in African dance and African studies.

I don't know why but this amazing girl gives me a strong enthusiasm to also find my real-passion in life. Things I would love to do the rest of my life, which obviously should not always be the same as anyone else.

0 comments: